Annual Congregational Meeting – Please plan to attend
The PUC Council has set Sunday, June 6 at 1 PM as the date and time for the Annual Congregational Meeting. We need to announce that in church for 2 weeks prior to the meeting, but since we may not be able to have church services prior to that date, it will be included in the weekly news update emails. It probably will be a Zoom meeting since the virus is showing no signs of abating.
The Cemetery Committee has completed an extensive review of pricing and management of remaining open land in cemeteries in our area and will be implementing the following changes effective July 1, 2021.
- The price for a plot will be increased from $650 to $750
- In addition, each plot will require 4 corner markers to outline the boundaries of the plot to ensure effective management of the remaining space in the cemetery. If anyone wishes to purchase 4 corner markers for plots that have already been purchased, please contact the Church Office who will relay your request to Blaine Tackaberry. The price for 4 corner markers is $200 installed.
- The total price for the plot plus the required 4 corner markers will be $950
- In keeping with local cemetery practices, the PUC cemetery will engage a third-party contractor for opening and closing plots for a funeral. That pricing is under discussion and will be subject to yearly reviews based on pricing from our third-party supplier.
In the United Counties of Lanark, Leeds & Grenville, we have seen active cases drop from 67 last week to 62 this week and active cases in ULGC West (our region) increased from 2 to 9. Please be diligent wearing masks and social distancing and get your vaccine as soon as possible.
We would recommend the following four options for viewing a service in the safety of your home:
- Wesley United Church in Newfoundland – service should start at 9:30 a.m. our time. Scroll down for live service link box in the middle of the page https://www.wesleychurch.ca/
- A later service – 11 a.m. at Bethel UC Rideau Ferry https://www.facebook.com/BethelUnitedChurchRideauFerry/videos
- Bracebridge United Church, Bracebridge, ON http://www.bracebridgeunitedchurch.ca
- St. John’s United Church, Kemptville, ON http://www.kemptvilleunitedchurch.org/
Devotional Thought – May 8, 2021
This week I received a gift in the mail. It was from a dear friend, someone who had lived next door to me for 8 years. Frank and his family were there for me many times throughout those years of young motherhood.
His gift to me was his newest book that he has written. I really love the title: “My 5 Greatest Miracles & The 6th Is About To Happen”.
Now when I look at the book, the first miracle that comes to mind for me is that Frank is about 85 years old. His undaunting faithfulness to God, through his own life’s journey is so evident by this title. He has served God and believes with assurance that God holds the future and that whatever life brings, God is able to see him through.
The second miracle I think about is that through the years, even when we did little to keep our friendship alive, we remain friends. We have a strong bond through our Saviour and through having lived very close together. The last time I talked with Frank he asked if I was still entertaining my neighborhood with my guitar and singing (at midnight) on my back doorstep? We laughed about those times we shared, and many others.
As I read through the pages of this book I am laughing and crying. I laugh at the way God interjects His presence into our lives. And I weep that I am so blinded by self that I forget to give thanks to God for everything. I am so grateful for God’s reminders – a book from a friend, a cardinal flitting by, the daffodils as they dance in the breeze, a child skipping along with her puppy.
There have been times in my life when these little miracles have passed me by. I’m stuck in a rut of my own doing. And then God sends a miracle my way – a friend, a book, a picture, a gift from nature!
Can you sense what I’m trying to convey to you my dear friends? Don’t be discouraged, take heart, check out the next corner and find your miracle. God is there, waiting – and you will be able to say with the song writer: “All that you need is a miracle, and all that you need can be yours. All that you need is available, the moment you turn to the Lord.”- John Gowans
Grace and peace to each of you. In Christian love,
Liz Church (Pastoral Care Coordinator)